mandag 9. juli 2018

Armies on Parade 2018

I would have loved to make a table both for the Fantasy (Age of Sigmar) and for the 40K tournament. I've had several ideas about what to do for a long time, but I have to start to see my own limitations. I am a slow painter, and I need to have the right amount of models and have them painted to a high standard  no matter what army I choose.
I have an idea for Kharadron Overlords for AoS/Fantasy, but they take a long time to paint. So I think I will go for a 40K entry this year, and go for an Ork scene. After all the Kharadons will still be there for next year, and who knows maybe next year I can start real early and with a purpose in mind.

Last year I had a two stories high board with a mine at the bottom level and a fortress wall on the top. This time I will keep to one level.
I'd love to build something that can serve as an Ork production facility where the Mek boyz build their weird creations. But I am not sure I can pull off the production area itself. What I can pull off is the area where they show off what they have built or where things are tested.
If I have space for it, I can add some huge doors of some sort to the wall of the diorama to give the impression of a production hall of some sort.

On a vantage point I will have my only built Stompa - Da Punisha - stand guard and drawing attention to the table. Then I'll add some of my own vehicles like the Grot tanks and the mobile rokkit launchers, and maybe if I have time and space a walker or two (either the modified Sentinel or the modified Landspeeder or both). What I choose also depends on who I find to be the pilots or drivers of the vehicles, as I would like them to look good as well. When it comes to the Landspeeder I might close off the driving compartment to give the build more armor, and that might also make the pilot part a bit easier to solve.

I will have some Grots in red robes, representing Techpriests. They will be Fantasy Night Goblins (or Moonclan Grots as they are called now) with arms from 40K Grots holding mechanical stuff. Everybody knows that Techpriests and Techmarines wears red, and the Grots know this too. I think this will be a thing that might get me some positive attention in a competition, and I would love to have them in my army at a later stage anyways.
If I find a way to do it, I will make one stand out as the leader. Then he can stand in front of the others, and sort of present a new creation to the Ork Mek in charge.
The Mek has arrived in his Morkanaut along with a few bodyguards.

If I have enough space on the board, I might even build a ramshackle watchtower and put some guards and maybe a cannon up in it to defend the camp.

I plan to use insulation foam (Byggskum as we say in Norwegian) to build the terrain, as this is a rather fun material to work with both when it comes to how it looks when it is dry and the ability to cut it in to shape where that is needed. I used a special outdoor insulation Styrofoam and plaster last year, and that was a real pain in the ass to work with so I will try and keep away from that. If the Insulation foam doesn't work I can use paper maché but I don't think that will be as solid as the Insulation foam.
And a bonus with the insulation foam is that it is really light weight and don't need a frame.
I don't know how it will work with paint, but I have  big lump of foam from last year that I can use to test with.

Ingen kommentarer: