onsdag 14. november 2018

Ork Battlewagon

Orktober and the big Waaaaagh! is over, and we have gotten a lot of new vehicles for the Orks. I have one of each of the new ones, and I plan to build them gradually throughout the winter alongside my Astra Militarum forces. But the Orks gives so many options to do modifications, and that is some of the fun with the army.
This weekend my local Games Workshop store had an event they called "The Mad Dok Workshop" where they let us use their bitbox and take any parts we wanted and use them to modify a vehicle, character or unit in our ork army. I had long thought about making a Battlewagon with a Deff Rolla, so when this event came up I went for it.

The picures are not the best, but they do give an idea of how the Battlewagon looks...
In the front I added a skull from some Ork kit (think it was the Stompa) to make this look like it is part of the same Ork clan that operate Da Punisha! (my Stompa).


You can see a lot more of the details on this picture. I made a gun tower with twin heavy bolters that I found in the bitbox. The bottom and back wall are from a Battle Wagon set, the sides are from a Rhinox that is used by the Astra Militarum and the top is made of two track links from the track of a super heavy tank. The second small tower is built from the instructions in the Battlewagon box.
I also added some sort of rocket pod (might also be from the Rhinox, but not sure) to the front of the vehicle. In the back there are two rocket pods mounted one on each side of the lower panels of the cargo hold. Above them are two boarding planks (also one on each side) and these are taken from an Ork trukk set.
I wanted to use the big turret on a tank conversion, so I took the turret from the tank and placed on this vehicle. I felt I needed an ork in the turret to show that he could fit, so I took the scout from the big tower and cut off a bit of his base and glued him on there. To keep the tower on, I glued a terminator base on to the tower base after I had placed it, but before I glued the roof of the cargo compartment on to the walls. I also used a 20mm base as floor in the tower to place the ork upon as the original piece did not fit in the Leman Russ tower.


I have also made the turret with the big claw, so if I like I can replace the Heavy bolter turret with the original turret with claw. Only problem with that turret is that it is so unbalanced because of the the claw that it falls out of its hole and down on the ground if you don't hold on to it. But I plan to add a little lead weight under it, and hopefully that will take care of the problem. Just need to make the turret heavier than the arm with the claw.

I would like to convert one more Battlewagon for my army (maybe even more in the future, who knows) and that should get a big gun mounted on the floor in the cargo area. Forgeworld have done this, and they sell a cannon named Ork Supa Cannon. It's not too expensive, so I might buy that. But there is a lot of fun in making something by kitbashing too, and one possibility I have is to take the gun platform from a Basilisk and use that for my gun. Then I can use the Basilisk chassis to make a transport, towing or rescue vehicle for one of my Imperial armies. 
I'll see what I end up with, but the finished result will be shown here.

Ingen kommentarer: