søndag 21. august 2022

The Great Unclean One is done

I am happy to finally show off a mini that is completed. This is my Great Unclean One and he is the mightiest of the Nurgle Daemons. The Great Unclean One comes with several options for heads and weapons, so I made the one that I liked best. This is also one of the most classic setups, so there are many that look just like this out there, probably painted a lot better too, but this is what I can do.

I had a bit of a problem getting the eyes to pop, so I brought the daemon with me to Warhammer Oslo, where Bertil helped me a bit. He is much better with fine lines, so he made a thin black line in each eye, and then he used some orange to make the eyes pop a bit. I am not sure if I can make the thin black line for my next model with big eyes (maybe if I make the black first and then use yellow on each side?), but the orange I can fix by myself. The eyes are sort of reptilian, and that looks very well for this model.

There are lots of gory details that you can have on the model. Some of them can be covered up with alternate parts if you don't like them. I chose to use most, but not all. One of my favorites was the intestines that comes out of the cut in his belly, and also the little nurgling being crushed under the bulk of the big daemon.


There are some gushes and wounds in his side and on his back too, I used a painting guide from Duncan Rhodes from he worked at Game Workshop as inspiration, but I did not follow it all the way.


To get the wounds to look like they were infested, I had a little bit of Nurgle Rot in the deepest parts of them. I used yellow to represent the fat under the skin, as I saw Duncan do that in the video.


I was thinking about making the metal very rusty, but desided against it in the end. I also wanted to try adding some tufts to the base as I think that looks a lot better than a totally flat one when I have room to do it.


Here are some more details of the unclean/dirty skin and deep wounds.There are a lot of boils on the skin, but I decided to not paint them in another color after all as I felt quite happy with the way the skin looked after I got all the greens on the model.


There are six nurglings that came in the set, but I could not find a way to fit them all on the model, so I decided to go with the ones I liked best. I placed this little one with a chain with a flaming ball to sit on the top of the Great One. I am really happy with the way I made the horns, and I plan to use this color every time I paint horns in the future. This is a contrast color.


Originally I thought I woud have the intestines a pinkish white so I used a light fleshtone on them, then I felt they needed to look a bit gorey so I added Nurgles Rot on them and it made them a little more gray, but all in al I am quite happy with the look, And talking about happy, that Nurgling standing in front looks really happy too. He looks like a proud little daemon. The one being crushed under the gut isn't that lucky and don't look quite so happy. But it is a great look on him so I had to add hm to this.


 All in all I am very happy with this model (can't really call it a mini when it is this big), and I look forward to painting up more Nurgle in the future. Nurgle is probably the Chaos faction with most big models. I have this Get Unclean One and this is probably the biggest, but I also have a Bloab Rotspawn model and the smaller Beasts of Nurgle and a Horticulus Slimux and I would very much like to get my hands on a Glotkin.

Ingen kommentarer: