fredag 17. februar 2023

Ogors - Trying something new...

Up until now I have only used light skintones to paint skin on my models, unless they have been Greenskins or Genestealer cults that is.

This week I have tried to change that, and I have done so with models that show a lot of skin...



The pictures are a little dark I think, but they do show what is about to happen. I built four Leadbelchers, and they are the ones standing in the second row on the second pic. They were all primed with Gray Seer as that is my standard primer these days. The good thing with that is that I have the option to use both contrast paints and the regular Base/Layer paints from GW and get a good result when I paint them. 
In the front row and far right on the second is a unit of what is now called Ogor Gluttons.They were originally painted to a good standard that I was happy with, but I took the models home to work a bit on their bases to make them up to date with my current way of painting bases. But before I started on the beses I got the idea that I would like this army to have a darker skintone, so I decided to repaint their skin and leave the rest as it is. I like their look now, but I think it would look  too weird with one unit that sticks out with a totally different skintone from the rest. Hopefully I can manage to just change the skin and maybe their facial hair if that looks very weird with the new skintone. 

In the third row, back beside the Steam Tank, is a model that has now been reduced to an un-named Maneater. He used to be Bragg the Gutsman and was a character. He is missing the hook on his staff right now, but I decided to prime that by hand and paint it up separately as it will get in the way of the details of the model when I paint the main parts.

I have seen several recipies for painting dark skintones, and I plan to do it by applying this base color that I have applied now (after the pics were taken, the final two also got their skin re-painted), then drybrush all over with a lighter tone, and then either layer or do a fine drybrush on the highest areas with an even lighter tone. My hope is that this method will get them to a good standard that I can be proud of with my level of painting.

For the bases for this army I have decided I will have snow like the Gluttons have now, but not all bases will be completely covered in that. Some will have Stirland Mud and snow mixed on the base while others will have a base all covered in snow. I might also try to make some ice details on some of them as GW has made some contrast paints that work well for this. Then the rims of the bases will get the same green as the reminder of my AoS figures. 

I have also decided that my Duardins will have some bases with Stirland Mud or Stirland Battlemire and some with Astrogranite and if there are some bigger bases I might combine it. I made a lot of Duardins for my Armies on Parade board some years ago, and I have now brought them home to the workbench so that I can fix their bases to the standard I use for all my armies now (mostly repainting the rims). 

If this darker skintone works out well, I will also introduce it to some of my Imperial Guard soldiers, as the Walpurgian 3rd often integrates units from other planets that has grown too small to be effective fighting units by themselves. I will start with some commisars first, as they are supposed to be from other planets as they shall not have an emotional bond to the troops they are serving with. But If the skintone works on the Ogors with lots of skin, I am sure it will work on Commisars and Guardsmen with only heads and maybe some hands or in some cases arms that is skin colored.

Ingen kommentarer: