søndag 8. mai 2011

Marines comming along...

I have some more Marines on their way through the mail.
I just couldn't resist and placed bids on 3 5-man terminator squads. So far I've won 1 of the 3 auctions (the other 2 expire today and I am currently in the lead). I have found that terminators are quite easy to paint to a good standard even if you get them pre-assembled, as they have their arms out from their body, so you can access all areas. These come primed black, so that might work out quite well.
I've also managed to get one squad of Spacehulk terminators. I didn't get a sergeant at a reasonable price (have one bid that looks promising so far, but I expect it to reach the obnoxiously high price as the other sergeants before the auction is over), but I found that one of the regular terminators look quite "sergeantly" (first time sergeant is used as an adjective?) so if I don't get the sergeant he will get the job.

The 10th man for my first terminator squad is in the mail, so my metal captain is definitively out of the equation. I still hope to find a nice squad for him to lead as well, but there are a few challenges. First of them is the fact that he is assembled on a 25mm base. For some reason this is done with Dark Angels terminators. I will need him on a 40mm base, so if I get to use him I must use a knife and some greenstuff to give him a slotted 40mm base to stand on. This shouldn't be the biggest problem to solve, but all the other terminators I seem to find (plastic or metal) all look so much more beefy than he does, but I haven't given up on him yet...

Recently I got 3 terminators to go with my already assembled 6. These 3 were pre-painted red (quite well done too) and they now have the standard blue and dark blue of the Gatekeepers. What remains is to give them white heads, fix the gold and silver detailing and paint their weapons the right colors.

The 3 Dark Angels I received at the same time are now only missing the white paint on the helmets, the gold details and painting f their weapons. These arrived unpainted. I thought they looked really cool on Ebay, but when they arrived I found several faults with them. There were things that should have been trimmed better, and the shoulder guards and arms were assembled in a strange way sticking too much out from the bodies. Also the weapons were just resting in the left arm, and not being glued tight.
The result was that I started to squeeze them gently for a little while and all of a sudden parts started to come off...
I now have them with heads and backpacks attached to the torsos, while arms and shoulder guards are separate. This means I can do a much better job painting their tunics, and details and also get a better look on them upon completion.

Ingen kommentarer: