søndag 24. juli 2011

Not just heavy, but super heavy

Here is one more update before I turn in for the night.
Except for the before mentioned problems with the tracks (see the post from earlier today) the Baneblade has been a true pleasure to assemble. I have assembled plenty of tanks of this size before, as I also build and paint dioramas with 1:35 scale models. The difference is that they tend to have tracks that can actually turn if assembled right, and that the Baneblade is a little wider than these miniatures usually are.

As an experiment I decided to build this Baneblade without painting while assembling. This is how most people in the Warhammer hobby assemble their miniatures after all.

I have decided that I will go back to my old way of doing it, painting while assembling when this tank is done. The reason for this is that I see there are a few places where it might be difficult to get good access with the brush when painting. If I was using airbrushing I would have reached everything I guess, but I'm not there...

Because of this I have decided against using this Baneblade as the command tank it was meant to be. The other Baneblade that I have on my shelves will get the honor of being maked 01, while this nice tank will get the 02 markings. Then the Shadowsword will get the designation 03.

There might be other super heavies in the future, as there are several very nice versions to be built from the boxed sets that exist. But for now I only have the three tanks, and as far as I can understand they will be more than enough for regular games of Apocalypse and certainly for showing off in my glass cabinets. Along with enough Leman Russ tanks, Hellhound variants, Chimeras and the odd Manticore or Hydra this will be a mighty army. I will have to follow up with painting a lot of Imperial Guard infantry to go with such an army but I do like to paint and assemble so that should not be a problem.

The Baneblade 02 (it will get a "real" name before it is used for games and put in the glass cabinet) is only missing the main turret, and this will have to wait until I have painted up the commander and the gunner, although I am looking in to ways to work around that, to get the tank as finished as possible in a short timeframe. Still I will not take shortcuts that results in an ugly miniature, as the Baneblade certainly deserves to be assembled and painted to the best of the owners abilities.

Ingen kommentarer: