søndag 4. mai 2014

Finally got some modelling done!

It has been a long time without updates, but hopefully this is past me now
I am all but moved in to my new hobby room (but not to the rest of the house yet), and I see I have a lot of miniatures that I would love to start to assemble and paint. It's amazing what you find when you put everything in boxes and unpack the boxes again.

Yesterday I spent several hours at Games Workshop in Oslo on a Scenery workshop. They gave us full access to their bitbox, and I had a blast! Working on my own stuff, talking to fellow hobbyists and helping out some younger kids with a few things that needed some strength (cutting up pices of scenery for battle damage and miniature bases mostly). It was fun throwing ideas around the table, where every voice was heared, from the two 8 year old girls, to the teen boys, through the boys in their 20's and up to me in my early 40's.

I haven't built any Warhammer 40K scenery before so I didn't know anything about the size of the models. So I bought me a Shrine of the Aquila, and found some nice spare walls and some walls and stuff from other sprues in the store bitbox, and started my assembly.
The result is a huge shrine (2 extra wall sections when compared to the original) with some smaller walls on the outside, and some nice detail (at lest I think so).

The Shrine will be the center piece in my ruined 40K city on the nameless (at least so far) black world where my Imperial Guard and Space Marines fight evil forces.

I assembled almost everything yesterday, except from a few walkways inside the building. They need to be glued to the other walkways, and they need to dry first.

The Shrine was a pleassure to work with, but it did give me a few challenges. In store we all worked on paint stations, and I found that my huge Shrine sometimes was a little too big to handle on the paintstation. So I built one wallsection at the time, and left them on the box under my chair to dry as soon as the glue started to settle. Then I took each piece out and added more details to it in turn.
This will not be a problem with terrain building in my own hobby room however, as I don't intend to have a paint station. I will just have a mat to paint on. All my paints are on the shelves right in front of me, so they are easily accessible without a paintstation.

I will make a post presenting my workspace when I get a few more boxes stored away (I need to move a few cabinets from my old hobby room still)

Ingen kommentarer: