lørdag 7. mars 2015

First flyer is on the way

The Mrs was working late from home today, so since I had the day off I thought I might spend it at Games Workshop. So I gathered my tools, a box with paints and glue and a box containing an Ork Bommer and went to Oslo. The ork Bommer can be painted up both as a fighter plane (Dakkajet) and two bomber versions (Burna-Bommer and Blitza-Bommer), and after a lot of consideration I decided to go for the Burna-Bommer. The main reason for this was that that it's the one with the most rokkits, so it just looks cooler. I have more Bommers on my shelf, so I will probably build and paint the other versions at a later time.
Speed is important to a plane, so I decided to go for a red color scheme, with yellow details. The metal parts are part copper and part Leadbelcher, and the bombs and rokkits will be painted as I did on the weapons of the Meganobz.
I have no idea how these Bommers take off or land, as there are no landing gear. Maybe if I get an idea in the future, I can try and build a take-off site as Ork scenery. I suppose they have to be shot up like we do in the real world with kids rubber band planes, or dropped from a height (but then how do thy get them up that high to drop them in the first place?).

All three plane versions have a big metal girder underneath so I assume that they use this to land on and  and something that looks like an anchor as a brake to stop when they are back on the ground. So I will try and paint these parts as they have had their paint scraped off.
I have decided to build all my Ork planes with canopies, as I think that looks best, and I will paint the metal holding the glass together with copper and try real hard not to get any copper paint or plastic glue on the parts that remain as clear glass.

The Ork Bommer is supplied with a sturdy base, and a pole that looks like it is supposed to be glued on to the base.
One of the other hobbyists that were in the store yesterday was painting up a Space Marine Stormtalon Gunship, and he had made a hole in the base and placed the pole all the way through and then glued it in place. I plan on doing the same thing as it looks more solid than just placing the pole on top of the base, but also securing the pole with greenstuff on top of the base, as I plan to make a nice base for the flyer. I haven't thought up any details yet, but it is quite a big base, and since the plane is high in the air I can add some sort of a diorama on it to make the model look good in the display case while still functionable as a game piece.

I planned to bring my Imperial Guard heavy weapon squad home with me yesterday and post some pis of it here, but the store manager asked if they could have it on display until the next competition, and naturally I agreed to that. It's not like I need them any time soon, so it's sort of cool to have them on display where other people might see them too.
So the pictures will have to wait until the next competition who is three weeks away. I'm not sure if I will participate myself, as the theme is "tank" and I don't really have anything yet that I think can stand any chance. But I will participate in later competitions for sure.


Ingen kommentarer: