tirsdag 17. mars 2015

Nobody expects the Inquisition...

This last week has given my forces a new tank. On saturday I attended a workshop on painting white and how to add weathering like rust and grime to your tanks. We had to bring a white tank, and since I don't use white in my armies (except for the helmets of my veterans and a few details) I decided to make a vehicle for one of my Inquisitors.
The choice fell on a Landraider Redeemer that I felt was the perfect choise for the Inquisiton.
The Landraider is a tank that can take almost any beating, and the Redeemer version has huge flamers on the sides that will clean a battlefiled of most enemies.
I started the assembly Thursday night with getting the hull together and painting the interior, then the rest of the tank was assembled on Friday.
I discovered that the tank was a little bit crooked when I was ready to assemble the roof, as it didn't fit as snug as I expected. It seems like the top of the side walls was a little bit tighter than the bottom. So next time I assemble a Landraider of any sort I will place the top on without gluing it when I assemble the bottom part, so make sure everything fits perfect.
I don't think it's easy to see the problem when you look at the assembled tank, but I surely noticed it when assembling it and glueing the top on...

Saturday was spent painting the tank up and getting it to look like it had been in the field for a long time, with dirt (might add some earth down toward the tracks in the future), rust and paint chipping. Then I've spent a little time on Sunday and yesterday to paint up some of the things I didn't have time to paint at the workshop (weapons and small metal details mostly).
Yesterday I also gave most of the metal a brown wash (Agrax Earthshade), but I know I forgot to take a few small details, so they will be done in the next sitting.

While waiting for the different layers to dry on Saturday, I also did most of the work on the Inquisitor I had started to paint earlier. I will have him/her (decided to have one female and two male Inquisitors, not decided who's who of the two with witch hunter outfits and a braid yet) ready in one more sitting, just have to paint some tubing. Then it will be a cleanup and a wash before basing.

Since I decided to make the Landraider an Inquisitorial vehicle, I decided I needed to have some solid troops to follow the Inquisitor in to battle, so I brought home a box of Grey Knights (five minis).
I have no plan to start a Grey Knight army as I have more than enough with the four 40K armies I have already, but the models look really cool and will be Inqusitorial Marines of a chapter yet to be named... Not entirely sure about the color scheme yet, but I'm thinking blue and gold (sounds a little bit familiar...)...

On Saturday March 28th Games Workshop Oslo has a painting competition where the item painted should be a tank. I have the Landraider to field if my original plan fails, but I hope to field a Vindicator painted up with the same techniques I learned Saturday. It was already assembled, and now it is painted and washed. Next sitting I will start to add the chipping paint and the rust to it. The Idea is to place it on a base built with a picture frame and cork, but not attach it, so that I can take it off for gaming and have a base I can use for photos of other vehicles as well.

The ork flyer is still not 100% complete, but there is not much left. I have decided to use the techniques I learned on saturday on parts of the underside of the plane, for the parts that will look like they are in contact with the ground on takeoff or landing. Then I will add some rust and oil streaks to it, and see if I can give it a gentle wash all over.

When it comes to scenery, I have stated to paint the base of my first forest (not the haunted one, but the regular one), and I have decided how I want it to look. I will paint it up as I wait for other projects to dry.
I have also detailed and washed my first building, so the final step for the building is a gentle drybrush. This will hopefully be done some time this week.

I hope to take some pictures of the finished Landraider and make a post of it in a few days time, depending on how fast the wash that I will have to apply on the final metal bits dry. If it dries fast, I can take the pictures today, if not I will have to wait until tomorrow with that.

I also plan to make a small tutorial with the Vindicator if it works out the way I hope and plan for...
If it works out, I will use this method for all my vehicles, both Ork, Space Marine and Astra Militarum (the amount of chipping, rust and dirt will be different from project to project though).


Ingen kommentarer: