tirsdag 10. mars 2015

Flyer is comming along, almost done

My Ork Bommer is almost done now. All that remains is finishing the tower for the Grot gunner, and gluing the bombs on to the plane. Then there is the usual cleanup, washing and perhaps a drybrush of some sort (metal to make it look a little rough maybe).
I managed to paint and glue on the canopy for the pilot yesterday. Painting clear plastic can be a real pain in the butt. Usually you can paint over with another color if you get some paint where it's not supposed to be, but with clear plastic you are stuck with paint on places where it's not supposed to be. Same with glue, if you get glue stains on the clear plastic it will not stay clear any longer.
So I was very happy when the canopy was painted without spilling and glued on with just one tiny stain on the side window. It looked a whole lot better than all those model airplanes I had pinned to my roof in my youth... I looked through the canopy and saw a nicely painted instrument panel, an Ork pilot looking good in his chair, and then it hit me... I had forgotten to paint his teeth!
I will not remove the canopy to paint them, because it will never look that good being reattached. So I guess the pilot is sucking so hard on his lips that the shape of the teeth are showing through. At least I've learned not to make that mistake again, and I will make really sure the teeth are painted on the Grot gunner before the gunner canopy is glued on.
When it comes to the gunner I will have to do a few dry fits, as it seems to be a real tight fit getting the Grot arms glued on while the guns gets attached to the plane at the same time. And then everything is connected through the firing mechanism of the gun that is attached to the Grot hands in the sprue. So everything must fit perfectly. Then I still need to glue the Grot head on to the neck after that. Looks like it will be a tight squeeze if done in the right order, but done wrong it will just be a tragedy...

I also painted the arms of my abhuman auxiliary command squad, and glued the flamer and the lasgun troopers together. It was a little pain getting the flamer pieces to fit perfectly together, but I got there after some fiddling. This will probably improve in the future, as I plan to have flamers in many of my squads. I think the look I have given the flamers now is better than the flamers I've painted earlier, so I will see if I should try and repaint some old flamers, or if I shall just say that they have older equipment. I think both solutions will work ok as there are so many different forgeworlds delivering equipment to the Astra Militarum that some differences are to be expected.
When I glued the trooper with both hands on his lasrifle together, those pieces fitted together perfectly on the first attempt. I was a little uncertain about that fit, as there are so many different arms to choose from. I did a dry fit, but it's not always easy to see if you have covered every angle, so I am very happy with the way this turned out.
All that is missing to finish this command squad, is the painting of the standard, and gluing the arm holding it onto the trooper.
Hopefully I will be able to use my converted Ogryn as the standard bearer, but then I will find another unit for his human counterpart.

Ingen kommentarer: