mandag 30. mars 2015

First Vindicator ready

Last week I spent most of my Warhammer-time trying to get my competition entry ready.
I had a Space Marine Vindicator that was assembled but not painted, so I painted it Kantor Blue, gave it a heavy wash, and then used a sponge to add chipping paint, rust and some battle damage.
What I learned right away was that there is a lot of difference in the kind of sponge you use. I used one from an old Blister pack on my white masterclass, but this time I used a makeup sponge that was a lot finer. This meant more paint on the same spots and not that chipped result.
I also learned that you need darker wash on darker sufaces, so next time I will go directly to the darkest wash to avoid getting to many layers of wash on the model.

I had to make a base to put it on, and I worked with cork for my first time. I got a picture frame, took out the glass and replaced it with a cork sheet. Then I build the base up on that.
The Idea was to make a grimy battlefield where the Vindicator would fit in, and that worked quite well. I would have liked to make a battlefield with a lot more debris, so it would look like the Vindicator had blown up a wall or driven straight through one, but I only used two ruined top wall sections in the end. I also glued down a few iron girderes and a drainage pipe. The pipe was half of an industrial chimney, and with the help of some technical paint I managed to make it look like poison was coming out of the pipe. That part of the table was perhaps the one I was most satisfied with.

Just like last time I didn't get to the top three in the competition, but there were nine very nice entries, and I can see why the top three got their places.

This time though, I took the pictures before delivering the entry...

Here is the base seen from the top. You can clearly see the different height levels on the cork, and that is something I will work on for future bases. At the top of the picture you see the two wall sections.


My favorite part of the base, the pipe with toxic waste flowing out. This is something I will try to use on other bases as well, it leaves a nice contrast point for the brown base.


The Vindicator making its way through the breech. Notice that the plow blade has the same dirt as the base.


The Vindicator seen from the side.


Just a pic taken with flash to show that the interior is painted up as well. Here you really see the dirt on the chassis of the Vindicator.


Picture taken from a little more distance without the flash.


Here is a detail of the front plowblade. I think this picture gives a good impression that the Vindicator has worked its way up the slope. You can also see the rust on the blade, and it does not look like something you want to see attacking you...


And finally, a pic of the diorama from the top.


Ingen kommentarer: