mandag 30. juni 2008

US M60 A1 - Tamiya 1:35 model

Before I got hooked on Warhammer miniatures I was building lots of scale models. I found my perfect scale to be 1:35. After a while I wanted to do more than just build and paint the models, so I started making dioramas.
We all have to start somewhere, and this is my first diorama. It is rather simple, but it still pictures the scene I wanted to show - a US Tank in the desert in Kuwait during the first Gulf war.
A pice of 20mm styrofoam was glued to a wooden base. The base is a wooden shelf that I have cut to the right size. Then the styrofoam was covered with alabaster plaster. When the plaster was dry I glued on fine aquarium sand, and when that was dry the entire plate was sprayed with a clear hairspray.
This made the glued sand buckle, but the base held, and the buckling only adds a little to the realism.
This diorama was a great learning experience, and it gave me lots of input on what to do and what to avoid when it comes to making more advanced dioramas in the future.
This was also my first time painting camouflage on figures, and I think the desert camo came out quite ok. I have done it a few times since, and I must say that of all the camouflage patterns in the different armed forces of the world, the US desert camo is my favorite to paint.

The tank is an out-of-the-box Tamiya US M60 A1 with reactive armour, and this was the main battle tank for the US Marines in the first Gulf War.

Ingen kommentarer: