onsdag 16. mai 2012

Productive trip to Games Workshop this week

Had two very nice trips to Games Workshop in Oslo this week.
First a trip on Monday, where I picked up Skullvane Manse, some paint that I needed to restock, and the remaining books from the Horus Heresy series. I managed to get one book that I had already, so on Tuesday I was back to swap it with another book and also to pick up some glue and liquid green stuff they didn't have on Monday. I got the rules for Apocalypse, so now I have the datasheet for my Baneblade so I can use it in games. I also picked up Deathknell Watch.

My plan is to build Skullvane Manse as the home of one of the greatest witchhunters the Empire has ever seen. He will not need an observatory, so I will take the observatory dome and place it on top of the Deathknell Watch tower to make that into an observatory. If I can get it to work, I might place this tower on a hill of some sort to make it higher (it is an observatory after all). Then I will take the skeleton that is placed on top of Deathknell Watch and use that on Witchfate Tor or another regular watchtower placed on a ridge. Not sure if I have a spare watchtower at home, but that is not a major cost from Games Workshop anyway.
On Monday I also picked up a can of black primer, so I will use that to prime my buildings before assembly. I don't really bother doing that when painting miniatures as the style I paint would mean I had to prime lots of small parts. If the miniature is fully assembled and then painted, then priming would be a must, but when I paint as I assemble I get to cover all the areas where one would usually need primer to get to with a good coat of paint.

The plan is to paint the Temple of Skulls first. Hopefully I can prime this big set this weekend. Then I can start painting it little by little in between projects. I got some good hints from the guys at the Games Workshop about what might look very good, so I will try their suggestions (that is usually a good idea) and see how it turns out. If it ends up like I hope, then I will use the same technique for the basic colorscheme for my towers and houses, and just add a few other gray-scales on some of the bricks.
I will like to have all the towers and buildings look like they have been built with rocks from the same region, as I plan to use the terrain together as some sort of town or township.
There will be a few watchtowers, a chapel, a graveyard (probably based around the Garden of Morr with some specially made statues that I bought on Ebay from a Polish dentist), the Fortified Manor, Skullvane Manse, Witchfate Tor and Deathknell Watch. Then I hope to add a few more buildings that I either scratch build (yeah, right!) or modify from other buildings.

Then on the outskirts of town, Dreadstone Blight and the Temple of Skulls will be located, and there will also be some trees as I have two forrest sets from Citadel.

Ingen kommentarer: