mandag 21. mai 2012

Weekly update

I haven't been that active on the miniature front lately, but I hope this will change once again. I have been a couple of trips to Games Worskop in Oslo, and have gotten my share of inspiration along with some new sets as described in earlier posts.
I have also started to read up on Apocalypse rules, and reading those certainly adds inspiration to fixing up my Imperial Guard and Space Marine forces. Also the handful of Sisters of Battle, as they will fit nicely alongside my other armies. Reading the Horus Heresy books shows me that the Sisters can be used in more ways than just for combat, and so I find that they can have great use with my other units.

Yesterday I glued my River Trolls to their bases, and I think that is the last I'll do with them until the Imperial Guards I'm working on now is done. Then the trolls will get my full attention. I have decided what poses to give them, and placed the heads and arms alongside their torsos in boxes. But I see that in order to get the best result, I will need to paint them while assembling. Their heads consists of 3 parts, and some of the heads needs the middle part painted before I assemble the two other parts.

The Imperial Guard is eagerly awaiting their first heavy weapon squad. So far two of the three fireteams are ready to go in to battle. They are missing some extra equipment, but like Clint Eastwood says in Heartbreak Ridge: "You got your weapons and you got your boots, so you can march in to combat! Fall out!"
The lascannon teams both have got some cover of sandbags, and I am also working on adding sandbags to the heavy bolter team. My plan is to add a radio to this team, and I need to have some sandbags to prop that up against. The problem with making scenic bases is that the weapons themselves takes up much more space than I had anticipated before I started. But the idea is to have each squad a little different, so I think it will work out ok in the end.
Another unit might get some barbwire on their bases, and others may be crouching in a entrenchment, behind a earth wall or in a ruin. Time will show!
The heavy bolter tripod is glued to the base, and is painted. The heavy bolter itself is 90% painted, only missing the chainmail on the scull and the Imperial Eagles. The gunner and spotter have their torsos painted, but their heads and arms are not attached or painted yet, but I hope to get some of that done tonight. I also plan to finish the ammunition box and get that glued on to the base, as this gives me the chance to finish the sandbags. I also hope to paint up some of the extra equipment like lasrifles, and get those placed on all three bases.
Alongside my heavy weapon squad I'm painting up 5 infantrymen (one sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol, one trooper with grenade launcher, and three troopers with lasrifles). These will join forces with my five man team made from the five man box.
I have found that the box of five troopers will save some money for me, as most Imperial Guard soldiers carry lasrifles, and with a little use of my bitzbox, I can make these rather static poses look varied enough to work. At least I think so now, but I will pick up two boxes next time I am at Games Workshop and try it out. The 5 man box costs 70 NOK, so a 10 man squad will cost 140 NOK, while the regular box of 10 troopers costs 220 NOK. All I need to add to the boxes of five is a seargeant, and perhaps a heavy weapon trooper for some units, and this can be done by taking troopers from the regular 10 man set, or using spares from these sets on the troopers in the 5 man set . I will see how this can be done as the army grows.

Ingen kommentarer: