onsdag 10. februar 2016

What is planned for the future - all army update - Age of Sigmar

It's been a long time since I've done a blogpost with an update for all armies, so I thought I would do it now. This post is sort of a foot in the ground, and a way for me to try to think and speculate a bit about the future when it comes to how I will minimize the amount of kits sitting in their boxes on my shelves. This post is for the Age of Sigmar/Fantasy part of the minis, and I will do another similar one for 40K.

First up is the Chaos and Chaos Daemons. I see these two armies as one, as I will only use the Daemons as allies to my Chaos forces. I can't see that I will buy a lot of them to make an entire army. I will keep it small and simple.
The Plague Drones are assembled as far as I can do, only thing I have to figure out is what to do with the riders. Do I glue them on, or do I accept that they don't fit snuggly on to the drones? They will be quite impossible to transport, but as they are quite difficult anyway, I guess it won't matter much...

The Deamons will work both with Age of Sigmar and 40K, so I will see how I do the bases. I'll probably make them match with the Age of Sigmar Chaos bases, as I suspect they will be used more there than in 40K.

The Chaos forces are well in production as written in several posts these last few days. My first plan is to assemble all the Chaos Warriors I have in my collection, then I will paint everything up, also the models already assembled. I would like to do this as sort of an assembly line if I find a good way to do it, so that I add the colors for all minis then move to the next color. A lot of things will be identical to give the entire army a feel of unity even though there will be four factions/warbands.
All shields will be black and gold, all weapons will be Leadbelcher. All leather will be brown, all Warriors will have golden armorplates on their knees, and so on.
After the Warriors are done, I will start with all the Nurgle units as there are some nice units there that I would love to build.

The second army I plan to work on are the Dwarfs. I plan to use them for my Armies on Parade 2016 entry in the fall, so I need to give them a lot of attention and build some nice models. I have always had very big plans for the dwarfs as I really love dwarfs in general when it comes to fantasy (they are my favorite characters in the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings) and by using them for the AoP-entry I must force myself to finish them to a high standard. Much of the Dwarfs will be built straight out of the box, but some units like the Rangers, will get some modifications.
Among the things I love to do is to make the Badyear Blimp, and some observation balloons. I know how I want to make the blimp itself and the balloons, but what remains now is to figure out what material I want to build the baskets and control room with.
I have plans to make a separate Ranger squad for the army, as well as all the regular troops that usually frequent a dwarf army.
I have a lot of nice metal minis for the dwarf range, and I think I will do some repainting on those as well as painting up my own units from the boxes. A lot of the metal Dwarfs that I got from the guy who was quitting the hobby are missing their shields, so I will see if I can find a way to rectify that as they are cast in a way that makes it look really weird if I use them without. I have a few possible solutions here. One is using the shields from the plastic units that will not have them (like Thunderers and Quarrelers) and another is using buttons that my wife have bought dirt cheap from China if I find some that fits the size. I had originally planned not to repaint these models, but I see now that it should be done in order to get a feeling of unity for the entire army. However I will, at least on some of the units, try my best to paint it quite similar to what they are now, as I like many of the colors that have been used before.
The first thing I will do though, is wash the Ironbreakers I have assembled a long time ago and finish painting, washing and basing  the grudge ponies and carts.

As part of my overall Dwarf army, I plan to include the Fyreslayers faction.
The Fyreslayers are a new faction to Age of Sigmar, and can be played separately, just like the Sylvaneth who was split out from the Wood Elf facton. But to me the Fyreslayers are Dwarf Slayers, and I intend to use them as such.
They are mercenaries and work for good amounts of gold and ur-gold, so I will use them as part of a large Dwarf army, but also at times as mercenaries for my Ogres.
The novel "Fyreslayers" seems to hint about Fyreslayers working for chaos as well, and in some cases I might try this, but I have so many chaos models that that army stands quite well on its own so my Fyreslayers Lodge will fight mostly for Dwarfs and Ogres.
I will experiment a bit on the bases to make some nice ones that hints a bit of magma while still being true to the style of the other Dwarf bases.


Ogres is the army that I really feel bad for at the moment. I had such big plans for them, but they have been neglected time after time. However, I manged to finally finish the first unit this week so now I feel certain that they will get a boost some time down the road. I have no special plans as to the order I want to build the units, but I know I will build Bragg the Gutsman as one of the first models, and also that the next unit that will be finished will be the unit of Leadbelchers that stands partly assembled on my shelves as I like to finish what I have started before doing new stuff. I learned a bit about colors and washes while working on the Ogre unit I recently finished, and I plan to bring those experiences with me for the reminder of the Ogre army.


Greenskins is also an army that I feel a little sorry for. I was on a roll with them a long time ago, but all of a sudden everything just stopped dead in its tracks. I have a huge amount of assembled Night Goblins, and they really are easy to paint if I just pull myself up by the neck and sit down with it. The Goblins will have about six colors and two washes, and I will try my best to work with the ones already painted and based to make the rest look as similar as possible. But where I see that things should be done different I will try and do that, and see where it leads me. I have some very nice models to assemble and paint in this range, among others an Arachnarok spider and some Forgeworld Night Goblin leaders. I have a huge lot of Spider Riders where I can use bright colors to break up the monotony of black and green, and I also have a box with a giant that I haven't built yet.
The Giant that is already done will get the same skin wash my ogres got to give him better looking skin as the rest of the giant is washed quite nice already.

Finally we have the Sylvaneth. I got some from the same guy that gave me the dwarfs and then they became their own faction when Age of Sigmar came out and I bought some new boxes. I will not have a huge army of trees, but a sizeable unit still. The idea is that I can use them as a stand-alone army, or as allies to others if I would like that. I have the paint scheme that I want to use, so I will paint them up a little at the time. The main challenge I see with this army, is painting the Dryads in a way that makes them individual even though they are all almost identical. I tried to do that on some Dryads already, but I am not too happy with the result, so I will go back and do them a third time (my second but they were already painted when I got them).

Ingen kommentarer: