fredag 12. februar 2016

What is planned for the future - Scenery

I have a lot of scenery for both Age of Sigmar/Fantasy and for 40K, and I'm always trying to think up ways to paint and build it.

There are generally three kinds of scenery, 40K scenery, old Warhammer Fantasy scenery and Age of Sigmar scenery.
I have a plan for how I would like to assemble and paint most of it, but scenery takes up a lot of space and takes a lot of time paint to a nice standard. There are some that will be built almost right out of the box, while others will be modified. For the 40K scenery, a lot of it is just small wall sections that is to be assembled in any way one likes, so they are almost all built as modified buildings, even though some are made to look like the box art.

The Age of Sigmar scenery consists of four Baleful Realmgates, and some ruins. I had originally thought about painting it all Administratum standard grey, but lately I've been thinking that Zandri dust would look really cool for the Realmgates, and if I go for that then I will paint the ruins in the same color.
The question is though, will it look weird with some ruins in dust colors and towers in grey?
I might work around that by painting the rocks gray on the ruins. At least for the Numinous Occulum and the Ophidian Archways I think this will be a good solution. And for the Realmgates they are arcane and full of magic, and because of that the rocks are of a different color than regular stones. I'll see what I can think up. I know I will have green flames on my Realmgates, as most gates I have seen use orange or yellow and I like my scenery to look good but still a little unique where that is possible. If I go for this solution I will prime these scenery black and then spray it Zandri dust and paint on the gray on the few rocks that is visible. First with Administratum Standard Grey, and then drybrush with a lighter grey.

I also have a huge project building and painting up a chaos fortress consisting of an Overlord Bastion, four Malefic Gates and if I'm not mistaken there is also a Skull Keep tower in there. This is something I will have to build one section at the time and use my time with, as there are lots of details and intricate patterns to paint. This is ok though, as I will keep the fortress in its individual pieces to ease both storage and transportation. 
I haven't decided if I will use dark grey or black on the walls yet, but I am leaning towards black as that is a good chaos color. Then there are tons of sculls and a lot of golden details to take care of.

The old Fantasy scenery are mostly towers of different sizes, and some of them are built and primed, but not painted yet, but a lot of it is still on sprues.
One of the things I have done already, is to join two towers together to make a high tower for an astronomer. Other pieces that are ready for painting is built straight out of the box, so it is a fine mix in the end. My plan for the Fantasy scenery is to make a small town, but I do not have any buildings that can pass for houses except for the one chapel building that I assembled and painted some years back. So it will probably be more of a garrison I expect. But time will tell...

The 40K scenery is a mix of buildings in different stages of assembly and a lot still on the sprues. I have assembled several large buildings, and I also have the huge Relicos Militarum to assemble and paint. This will be built as close as possible to the box art, but the instructions for assembly is really poor, so I am not sure if I will get everything to look exactly like on the box.
The idea for all my 40K buildings is to assemble them, then prime them black and when the primer is dry give them a good spray of Administratum Standard Grey. Then I will spend my time with painting details like metal, walkways and lights and wash everything in the end.

Hopefully I will be able to get some good progress on my scenery building in the near future by using the sprays from Games Workshop. Some of the buildings really doesn't have that many details, so with the spray I will come a long way towards completing them.

Ingen kommentarer: