mandag 21. juli 2014

What's left to make... Imperial Guard (or Astra Militarum if one should be 100% correct) part 1

I have quite a lot of kits for this army, as I decided quite early after I started looking at the Imperial Guard that it was to be a main army.
The correct name for it now, after the release of the new Codex is Astra Militarum, but I think Imperial Guard will stay on as a name for a long time. I don't mind the new name, it is just odd to start and use a new name over an established one after such a long time.

The Astra Militarum (or Imperial Guard) is an army that works great as a stand-alone army as well as allies to the Space Marines that I will list a little later.
I plan to base these armies with the same kind of basing materials, but with some natural variations to make sure that not all minis get identical bases (that would be rather boring). Some will get more rocks, others more vegitation, but they will blend nicely together. I will also use the same bases for my Orks, as they are a natural enemy for both armies, and for this reason will need to be on the same battlefileds.

I haven't decided to go for either Cadian or Catachan troops, as many Imperial Guard players do as I like the looks of borth of them. I even coinsidered adding some Elysian Drop troops to my army at one time, but since they are all Forge World finecast minis, they will both be expensive and hard to convert. So I have dropped this idea now. Still I'm fielding both Cadian and Catachan troops in the army.

Now for the list of units...

We'll start off with the really big kits, the super heavy tanks.

I have one Baneblade that is painted and ready to go to war, but it is painted dark gray all over, and looks a lot like it just rolled off the production lines. So I would like to add at least one colour to it, but I will wait until I start to paint up one of the other Super Heavies before I do it, so that I can find a colour scheme that will work for all of them.
The Baneblade will be joined by one more just like it. I can make many different super heavies from the box, but I have decided to have two Baneblades as I like the look of that tank and even though super heavies are quite rare now, once there were whole companies of Banebleades in service for the Emperor so I figure there is a bigger chance for two of them than for some very rare version to be out there.
I will also have one Shadowsword as it has the most powerful cannon of all the super heavies. With the different enemies I might face it is good to have a "Titan-killer" in the ranks.
The new super heavy boxes have the sprues to make all types of super heavies from one box, so I am not 100% sure what the fourth super heavy tank will be.
But in the fluff for the army I have planned for the Catachan troops to be expert terrain fighters and the Cadians to be expert city fighters, and then it would be fitting to have a Hellhammer, as this is described as a super heavy optimised for fighting within city areas and dense terrain to fight along with the Cadians. The box I have is the "Hammer of Cadia boxed set, and that says on the box that is contains a Hellhammer, but it probably have options for at least a Baneblade and a few others).

The regular tank department also contains some pretty mean vehicles. In the "Hammer of Cadia" box there were three Hellhounds (often described as flame tanks, but they are based on the Chimera chassis, not the Leman Russ chassis), and I have one Hellhound box from before as well. I plan to field these as two squads of two 'hounds. And I will decide on what configuration to use on them as I build them.

The "hammer of Cadia" box also included three Leman Russ Battletanks. I guess these also can be fielded as the other variants from the regular Battle Tank box, but I do need regular battle tanks so there is a big chance they will be fielded as that. I have one battle tank from before, that has gotten a new camo scheme to fit the plans for my army, and is ready to roll in to battle. The tank commander still need a few more brushstrokes, but if needed he can fight as he is now.

I have three more separate boxes of battle tanks, and one of these has now been assembled as a Vanquisher that will bring Knight Commander Pask (or my equvivalent) to the battlefield. Also I have assembled two Demolishers, and I have one more to assemble.

There is also one manticore/deathstrike to assemble, but I have not decided on what to choose here yet.

I have two boxes of Basilisks, one old and one new box. The artilery piece itself looks identical, it is just two generations of boxes.

To round up the artillery, I have two boxes of Hydras/Wyverns. I plan to add a third box, and make two Hydras and one Wyvern. I'll probably build one of each with the two boxes I have now.

I have two Sentinels that I plan to use for terrain fighting, where the tanks might not be a good idea to bring (jungle/swamplands etc.), so they will get pilots that look like Catachans.

The air capasity is so far being taken care of by one Valkyrie, but there might be more at a later time. I have not decided what part of the army they will serve, but probably they will serve who ever needs them the most at the specific battle.

To make sure the infantry can keep up to speed with the tanks and artillery I have two Chimeras. One is the old Chimera set (like the Basilisk it only looks like the box is different), and one is a Chimera that came in the "Cadian armoured fist" box along with troops to ride in it. I also have two Tauroxes to carry Military Tempestus troops in to battle.

In part 2 I'll look at the troops...

Ingen kommentarer: